Who designed The White House in Washington, DC? The original architect of the White House was Irish-born architect James Hoban. The building has evolved and been added many times since its original construction in 1792, but Hoban’s basic design is still evident in the current structure.
Hoban was born in 1758 in Kilkenny, Ireland. He studied at the Dublin Society Schools and the Royal Academy in London before emigrating to the United States in 1785. He settled in Charleston, South Carolina, where he established himself as a successful architect.
In 1792, Hoban was chosen as the architect for the new presidential residence, which was to be built on the site of the current White House. He based his design on the Palladian style of architecture, which was popular in England then.
Construction of the White House began in 1792 and was completed in 1800. President John Adams and his family were the first to live in the building.
Over the years, the White House has been expanded and renovated many times. In 1814, British troops set the building on fire during the War of 1812, almost destroyed. It was rebuilt under the direction of Hoban.
During the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, a significant expansion of the White House was undertaken. The original building was torn down, and a new wing was built to house the growing staff and family of the president.
In 1963, President John F. Kennedy had the interior of the White House completely renovated. The most significant change was the addition of the Cabinet Room, which was designed to accommodate the growing number of presidential advisers.
The White House has been home to many presidents and their families. It is a symbol of the office of the president and the United States as a whole.
What is The White House?
The White House is the President of the United States’ official residence. The house is located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C., and has been the residence of every U.S. President since John Adams in 1800. The term “White House” is often used as a metonym for the President and his advisers.
The Executive Residence comprises six stories—the Ground Floor, State Floor, Second Floor, and Third Floor, as well as a two-story basement. The property is a National Heritage Site owned by the National Park Service and is part of the President’s Park.
In 1814, during the War of 1812, the mansion was set ablaze by the British Army in the Burning of Washington. Reconstruction began almost immediately, and President James Monroe moved into the partially reconstructed Executive Residence in October 1817. Construction continued with the addition of the South Portico in 1824 and the North in 1829.
When completed, the White House contained 132 rooms, including 16 family and public dining rooms, 52 bedrooms, 35 bathrooms, and 2 kitchens. The White House has been expanded and remodeled many times over the years, and today the Executive Residence includes more than 550 rooms.
The White House grounds include the President’s Park, which is open to the public and consists of the White House lawn, the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden, the Rose Garden, the Children’s Garden, the South Lawn, and the North Lawn. The grounds also include the White House Visitor Center, which is open to the public and features exhibits on the history of the White House.
Founder of WhoDesignToday.com in 2011 as a design blog and now reinvented as an open-source community answering questions of who designed what. Gareth is an avid fan of history, design, technology, and reading.